Harmony Stella H1204. A Blast from the Past.

No Comments

Harmony Stella H1204 H933)Since I’m not North American born there’s no wonder that I’ve never heard about Stella guitars before.
It was quite a revelation for me.
The guy on Youtube.com had explained it. And it’s as genius as it’s so obvious.

Delta Sound.
If you want an authentic Delta sound you don’t need to get an expensive National Dobro or something like that.
Robert Johnson and Leadbelly and many other pioneers of Blues just could not afford any expensive guitars.
At least at the beginning of their career.
They often played cheap Stella guitars.

A Bit of Stella History.
Before the 40’s Stella guitars were manufactured by Oscar Schmidt company. And nowadays those became expensive collectibles.
But later (1939) the Harmony company bought the Stella brand. They marketed Stellas as cheap beginner/student instruments.
The 40’s and 50’s had no truss rod. Only starting at early 60’s Harmony started to build and mark necks as “steel reinforced”.
But it still was not quite a truss rod as you cannot make any adjustment.
The instrument was built from birch. What was quite unusual choice even for that times.
All: top, sides, and back. All wood!
And that’s what made a very special “woody” sound.

Instrument.
In my case it’s Stella Harmony H1204. Made in 1968. At least the stamp inside of it reads as “F-68”.
It actually looks exactly like famous H939 or H933. And I’ve heard some story that many of them were supplied to Sears at that time.
This is my guess for the first “S” in the model stamp.
“Like new”. Of course, there are some dark stripes on white colored edges. But overall state is next to perfect. As many of those cheap guitars it was spending most of its life in some closet. That’s what preserved it from aging.

Defect.
nut_shift It would be too good to be true to get the vintage guitar in the next to perfect state just for $75. Right?
So here comes the problem: the nut was shifted down (see the image). I have marked the place of the shift with the red color. So the lowest string was going right upon the edge and was practically unplayable at the first frets.
Luckily it is a minor problem. The main challenge here is to remove the nut from the place without damaging any part of the neck.
Firstly I tried to slightly hit the extended part from side with the hummer: it didn’t work.
Moreover, there is more chances to hurt the edges around the nut.
So here’s what I did:

  1. Strings removed.
  2. I have found some wooden bar and placed it on the top of the neck upon the frets and resting against the nut.
  3. 3. I carefully kicked the wooden bar on the opposite side with the hammer: the nut came out quite easily.
  4. 4. I’ve put just 2 drops of the white Carpenter’s glue into the trench then placed the nut back properly adjusted.
  5. 5. The last step: put a clamp for a couple of hours or more if you can.

Unfortunately I don’t have a set of images or even a video clip of the process.
But the last image presents the final stage and all used tools.
clip_top

Leave a Reply